13. Out to Lunch by Stacy Ballis:
This book was meh. I could see how you might think it is hilarious, but I found it only occasionally entertaining and super predictable.
12. The Sister Season by Jennifer Scott:
Another totally meh read, but for me, this one was more engrossing.
11. Stitches by Anne Lamott
I really wanted to like this one because I really do like Anne Lamott, but t was just too preachy for me.
10. The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
The boys LOVED this book so much, and I remembered why I loved it so much as a kid, but holy cats is it problematic-- in ways that go far beyond the use of the term Indian.
9. Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse
This was a perfectly delightful thriller-- kept me on the edge of my seat and was a 1-day read.
8. What I Had Before I Had You by Sarah Cornwell
I tore through this while my students took a test-- very haunting and touching and a quick read.
7. The Remedy by Thomas Goetz
I read an advance copy of this for a committee I am on at work-- so good! All about the rise of germ theory and the birth of vaccines and TB. It comes out next month, and I recommend it.
6. The Big Truck That Went By By Jonathan Katz
So good! About how all the post-earthquake relief to Haiti went horribly wrong. Fascinating.
5. Twisted Sisters by Jen Lancaster
Hilarious and engaging.
4. A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout and Sara Corbett
I am not usually all about ghostwritten books, but this one! About a woman kidnapped in Afghanistan-- such an amazing and scary read.
3. Ripper by Isabel Allende
A seriously wonderful thriller.
2. Thank You for Your Service by David Finkel
Read this book about Afghanistan and Iraq war vets and mental health issues! It's great, and I would love to talk about it with others.
1. A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra
Oh this book! It is lovely and heart breaking and hopeful all at once. A strong contender for book of the year!
I am through the first quarter with 33 books, and 3 of them (The Goldfinch, A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, and Thank You for Your Service) have been outstanding!