Saturday, July 15, 2017

EPIC girls' weekend

For me and Dorothy that is. Ben took the 3 boys camping with our friends, but I... didn't want to.  It's true that we had fun last year.  BUT, it is equally true that one night was pretty much more than I could handle.  And also, I hate being dirty.  And I just didn't want to keep the kids from experiencing a super fun and dirty time.

Also, I really only like to camp if I am drunk, and Dorothy-- as evidenced by our backyard s'mores fire a couple of weeks ago-- needs constant sober supervision around flames.  So.

I sound defensive, and I think I am.  Because I don't want Dorothy to be all scared of dirt, and it sounds like everyone had a blast.  Maybe next year?

(Also also, I thought I was going to be 5 month pregnant and hiding from mosquitos when everyone planned this trip.  And I am not.  And I am still really sad about it even though it's unethical to have kids when the planet is dying.)


Dorothy was acting a little crazier than usual at swim lessons

 But I didn't know why until she starting sobbing when Ben and the boys pulled away in the over packed minivan.

She said she was just going to miss her family so much, which is something I didn't see coming because she never really acts like she likes anyone.

I took her straight to Toys R Us because everyone should learn about retail therapy.
 She bought a new stuffed rainbow cheetah and a bunch of jewelry, and we headed to campus for a goodbye party for my department's irreplaceable secretary (seriously-- she left some big shoes to fill).

Dorothy enjoyed the cupcakes.
 And the view.
 Also, she's not a baby anymore, huh?
 She asked for orange leaf for dinner, and I am clearly a sucker, so.
 Weird rainbow cheetah:
 Weird rainbow cheetah needed to eat when we got home.
 The pool was having a movie night, so we headed up.
 We took some pics and enjoyed the cool weather and came about as close to camping as I want to.  Dorothy ran around and played tag with the older kids.

 Then right as the movie was starting, she said she wanted to go home.  So we did.

Also, she moved right into my bathroom.
 We watched Aladdin in my bed and fell asleep before 10-- my kind of night!  Also, DAMN Disney movies used to be so violent! And so racist!

We had to get up a little early because I needed to give a presentation to parents of incoming freshmen.
 Working motherhood, man:
 We were almost late because I left my parking pass in the van and all of the visitor lots were full.  Then I remembered the metered parking in front of the football stadium that you can pay via app, but that looks like special VIP football parking and is always available and we were IN BUSINESS.
 Triumphant parking selfie:
 You guys!  She loves this cheetah.
 The talk went fine, and I think we met some new babysitters.  So we celebrated with a post-talk coffee/cocoa.
 (The walk back to the car was a little chilly).
 Her best Badger face.
 Next up: The zoo, where Dorothy bravely fought to overcome her terror of the merry-go-round by riding on the okapi, which is so tall it does not go up and down-- a good transition from the bench, which is the only place she has deigned to ride for 4 years.
 We also had to cram into the zoo train (not her-- I am the one who has to cram.  My butt is centimeters away from being too big to fit on the bench, so that's nice).
 Another carousel ride, this time on the stationary camel.
 She touched this gross lizard thing.  I wasn't listening to the woman telling us what it was.
 We split a turkey wrap (mostly me), an ice cream sandwich (all her), and a milk (both, surprisingly) for lunch,
 and then we fed some goats, which delighted Dorothy.

She also really needed to spend some time communing with this snapping turtle.
 She took a second to pet a millipede which almost made me throw up.  Not her petting it, just the disgusting, undulating creature itself.
 Quick photo opp
 She was completely passed out when we pulled into the parking lot of the swing set/trampoline place that was the next item on her packed agenda.
 I didn't take any pictures, but she played with a sweet little girl she kept calling Honey because the little girl's mom called her that (I think the girl's name was actually Adeline).

On the way home, she put in a request for Calico Critters, but I took her to Target instead and we bought a knock-off Woodeez family of ducks and went home to dig up all of the Calico Critter stuff she got for Christmas a couple ears ago.  So many families of twee forest creatures.
And that's it.  She's been playing with all of that stuff ever since.  I have huge plans to clean the house and make lasagna and cupcakes for tomorrow night before Ben and the boys get home.  They'll be home tonight after a couple of baseball games (tournament for Harry), and the 3 little kids and I will hit family float day at the pool while Ben and Harry go to another baseball game.  I am pretty excited to see everyone again, even though they are going to be FILTHY.

Dorothy has huge plans to hit an open gym at her favorite inflatable place and have a late dinner of quesadillas so she can stay up a couple hours after her bedtime to welcome the boys home and share with them her latest obsession: cocoa and cinnamon toast as the perfect "midnight feast" which is what she calls bedtime snacks, even though she eats them before sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment