I slowed down the pace this month and read 8 books:
8. Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler: Hated it. All my smart book friends loved it, but I could not connect. I just kept thinking what the fuck? Why is the pacing so fucked up? Because Zelda is so fucked up? I see what she was doing there but I just could not get excited.
7. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: A terrific YA novel about a freshman in college who writes fan fiction-- a quick, fun, touching read. It reminded me what it was like to be that young, and think anyone who works with first year students should give it a read.
6. Dust by Patricia Cornwell: This was actually a terrific thriller-- I am a sucker for Kay Scarpetta.
5. Fear Nothing by Lisa Gardner: Same as above. I love Detective DD Warren.
4. The Year of Billy Miller by Kevin Henkes: A wonderful read-aloud for me and the boys. Kevin Henkes is one of our favorite picture book authors, and his novel did not disappoint.
3. Wonder by RJ Palacio: The fact that this was not the book of the month is a testament to the wonderful stuff I read this month. This is another kid book that the boys and I did out loud. READ IT. RIGHT NOW. WHY HAVEN'T YOU READ IT YET?
2. And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini: Beautiful.
1. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt: This might be the best book I have ever read. Dickensian. But better than Dickens because I could not stop reading it. If 2014 can top this book, I will be astounded!