Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A weekend that really felt like a weekend and a pretty Mondayish Monday

When I got a text from a friend inviting us over on Friday night and when that encounter led to follow-up Sunday plans, I knew we were finally going to have a weekend.  Since school, started, we have had these crazy Saturdays and Sundays that pretty much just consist of us running around town and around our house buying shit and cleaning shit at a frantic pace.  But last weekend, we made time to just hang out with our favorite people.

Especially Ben, the asshole.

It started out simple enough-- Ben was looking for OSU/UW tickets to take Harry to the game.  But he soon discovered that these tickets were selling for way more than face value, which I always think is dumb.  Usually by game day the prices have gone way down.  Not this weekend, though, because this was an important game and a night game-- the only home night game on the schedule.  In the course of looking for tickets, Ben discovered that his friend had a ticket.  For Ben, who decided to go. After a whole morning of coaching sportsball.

That left me with all 4 kids and no one to hang out with since all of our friends were either going to the game or tailgating or both and babysitters were nowhere to be found at such a late date. 

This pic pretty much sums up how I feel about that:

 The kids and I packed a snack (and a book for me) and headed to our favorite indoor trampoline and playset place.  I have no pictures of Harry because he was in the back room playing basketball and soccer with some older kids he befriended.

 Then I took them to see the movie Storks.  WHICH WAS TERRIBLE.  AND SO EXPENSIVE.  $40 for tickets.  $46 the first time I went to the concession stand and another $8 when I ran back out to pick up the kids' pizza and bought Cooper the popcorn he was whining about. (You can order pizzas and they give you a beeper and page you when the pizza's ready-- so, so, so easy and no dinner mess to clean up at home)

 We came home and put the little kids to bed and then Jack and Harry and I flipped back and forth between the Cubs game 1 of the NLCS (yay!) and the Badgers (bummer!)

Sunday was another funday because we went to see a Badger hockey game in a sweet suite with friends.

 We also went out to eat with those friends but I have no pictures of that because I was throwing a tantrum as nonchalantly as I could in front of 2 other families because Ben ditched me with all the boys while he and the other 2 moms went ahead to the restaurant to have wine and get a table and the dads and I waited in line for autographs.  On the heels of Saturday, that was just too much for me to deal with.  He ended up canceling our drinks and apps because I threatened to leave but then I really wanted to stay so we did and it was awkward.  But who doesn't have horrible whisper fights with their spouse with friends around?

As you can see, Cooper got a horrible rug burn on his nose/forehead by flipping off a couch onto a beanbag chair.  Oops.  The incident happened at our friend's house Friday night, but the funny thing is that he did the SAME THING in our basement earlier in the day.
 After school yesterday, Dorothy and Cooper braved a 75-minute line at a new donut store in town to try what "everyone" says are the best donuts in town.  I still like Greenbush the best, but I am a traditionalist.

Usually on Mondays, Ben comes home and I go to work.  But yesterday, I waited around for the big boys to get home and took Jack with me downtown because I got to accompany his Bear Den on a capitol tour. It was lovely.

And he was so sweet and well behaved at my meeting-- not a single peep once he had the wifi password.  This is probably exactly how he'll look in college only taller and with cooler tech.

1 comment:

  1. Can we talk about how freakishly kid-like Dorothy looks all of the sudden? How did that happen?!